Friday, January 18, 2013


A former student of mine, Zach Foder, has made a significant difference in student learning in his physical education program. Please read the following from Zach and I strongly encourage you to view his website and click on the active gaming link below!

This is what Zach wrote:


Simply put, I love my job. 

Every day I am able to show others what my students have accomplished and strive to plan more interactive and engaging lesson plans. Often times, more than I expected, simply telling others about what we have done at the Immokalee Community School does not provide justice for the dedication, hard work and commitment of my students to be healthy and physically active for a lifetime!

As a graduate of the University of South Florida (12') and a first year student at Boise State University (M.Educational Technology) I wanted to enter my profession with passion, excitement and experiences that many students and parents had never even dreamed of.  The opportunity to develop an Active Gaming Lab (AGL) was one of those such opportunities!  Video games and exercise?!  I was motivated to create developmentally appropriate experiences during physical education that could answer that such question...video games and active technologies CAN be used to teach students about the concepts state and national standards adhere to.

I was fortunate enough to transform my space into an active gaming, health and fitness educational learning center!  Students are given the opportunity to explore the various fitness concepts like muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and cardiovascular endurance by actively participating in games like Just Dance, Wii Jog, Gamercize, Dance Dance Revolution and Wii Cyberbike!  The level of student engagement and active participation has increased dramatically and the students are excited, motivated and eager to be physically active!

The AGL has provided my physical education program with a safe learning environment that fosters critical thinking, exploration of health and life science concepts, physical fitness concepts, S.M.A.R.T goal setting and an unmatched level of fun and excitement!

The ability to use the AGL as a supplementary tool during physical education has worked to increase student motivation in the classroom, provided opportunities for students to use various forms of appropriate technology like APPS and the iPad while simultaneously developing the passion and excitement for physical activity that the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NAPSE) strives for!

Working in accordance with my budget, I was dedicated to work, save and implement many active gaming technologies of my own...whatever is necessary to keep the AGL running.  With the ability to combine personal and work equipment, the opportunities are endless for the AGL!  In addition to applying for grants, many of the events held at the Immokalee Community School like the Annual Immokalee Fit Kids Marathon, etc are used to fundraise and maintain the AGL.  Sharing my excitement about the new active gaming educational center at the Immokalee Community School is a top priority in order to continue to grow, develop and explore the new and cutting edge tools that can be used to educate my students.  

Students are excited, more now than ever, to be a part of the Immokalee Community School physical education program and participate in the active gaming educational center!  It is my hope to continually fundraise and do everything necessary in order to provide the students with the tools they need to be physically educated individuals.  

If you would like to see the Immokalee Community School Active Gaming Lab in use please do not hesitate to visit my website @ http://www.coachzpe.com and click on the Active Gaming Link!

I am confident that we as physical educators, can and will, keep active gaming alive and thriving in our schools! In addition to regular physical education, active gaming has enriched my program and ensured that my students are prepared and willing to be physically active for a lifetime!  

Zach Fodor
Physical Eduator
Immokalee Community School
Immokalee, FL


Thank you Zach for sharing your experience with active gaming with us!

1 comment:

way2 college said...

NICE BLOG!!! I'm happy to find numerous useful info here in the post. I would really like to come back again right here for likewise good articles or blog posts. Thanks for sharing !!
distance education in hyderabad